The Story of Prophet Nuh (Noah) [PBUH]
Did you know?
1) Noah lived in the time of the people who no longer believed in God. All his people are shirk except he is the only one who believes in Allah.
2) Prophet Noah took 950 years of preaching alone. 950 years! Not for a moment. And during that time, only a few people returned to believe in God and they were not interested in society.
3) Various ways of the prophet Noah preaching but anyone who hears it will curse, cover the ears, drive away and accuse that the prophet Noah is astray.
4) When the prophet Noah preached to influential people in society, they seemed to say, “How do we want to follow you if your followers are just ordinary people / subordinates? If you want us to follow you, you first throw away the followers you have now ”. They are not pursuing the truth but their position in society.
5) Noah will not leave his followers because they are also servants of God.
6) God said to the prophet Noah, there will be no more people who will believe. God told him to stop preaching, that’s all the followers of the prophet Noah. God’s guidance is closed to others.
7) God commanded Noah to build a big ark on the mountain. Noah built the ark for 100 years.
8) The people constantly insulted the prophet Noah. They despised the actions of the prophet Noah by saying, “You said you were a prophet, now you are a carpenter too? People make ships by the sea, you build on the mountains. Are you crazy? ”
9) After the ark was completed, God commanded the prophet Noah to bring his followers and all species of animals into the ark in pairs male and female. How can all these animals fit in a ship? The ship is actually very large, its height is just as high as the existing skyscrapers. Its width was enormous and because of that the prophet Noah took 100 years to build it.
10) Then, by the power of God water descends from the sky and rises from the earth so everything on the earth sinks. The only survivors were those in the ark of the prophet Noah.
11) Noah had 4 sons; Yam, Shem, Ham and Japheth. Yam does not believe in God. He refuses to board the ship and says he can wait on the mountain. At the same time, God continued to separate them with the waves of water and drowned Yam.
12) Noah waited for the flood to subside for 6 months. Every day he sent a bird to check the situation outside the ship and every time the bird returned, it returned without carrying anything. One day, the bird returned with a leaf which is a good sign. The second time the bird returned, there was a trace of soil on its feet, which was a sign that the flood was over.
13) Just like when it was first built, the ark of the prophet Noah landed on a mountain.
14) By the power of God, all the surviving followers of the prophet Noah did not have children / barren. Only the family of the prophet Noah could produce offspring. Therefore, the prophet Noah was called “The Second Adam” because all the descendants of human beings living today are descended from the descendants of the prophet Noah.
15) Noah lived for 350 years after the great flood.
Prophet Nuh (AS) was one of the prophets sent from Allah(SWT) and a whole surah, Surah Nuh, has been dedicated to him. Allah(SWT) has praised Nuh (AS) in Quran as
“Grateful Servant of Allah” and “True Messenger of Allah”
As years went by, people on Earth were practicing idolatry. This act came into practice such that whenever one of the good people died, their statues were made to keep a remembrance and eventually; the coming generations began to worship them, by treating them as gods. They believed that these gods would bring them good, protect them from evil and fulfil all their needs. They gave their idols names such as Waadan, Nasran and so on. Originally these were the names of good people who had lived among them.
It was then, that Allah (SWT) sent Prophet Nuh (AS) to guide his people back on the right path of Allah. He was an excellent speaker and a very patient man. He used to point out to his people the mysteries of life and the wonders of the universe. Prophet Nuh (AS) repeatedly told his people not to worship anyone except Allah. He clarified to them how the devil had deceived them for so long and that the time had come for this deceit to stop. This continued for over 900 years of his life, preaching that there will be punishment of the Hellfire if they disobeyed. However, only the weak and poor people, including the labourers, believed him but not the rich. The rich ones, full of cold mistrust, bargained with the poor and told Prophet Nuh (AS) to back off from his motive. These disbelievers said:
” We do not see you but as a man like ourselves, and we do not see you followed except by those who are the lowest of us [and] at first suggestion. And we do not see in you over us any merit; rather, we think you are liars. (Surah Hud 13:27)
However, Prophet Nuh (AS) refused to give up and provided logical reasons. The disbelievers further argued and said:
” They said: “O Nuh (Noah)! You have disputed with us and much have you prolonged the dispute with us, now bring upon us what you threaten us with, if you are of the truthful.” (Surah Hud 13:32)
Hazrat Nuh(AS) then said:
” He said: “Only Allah will bring it (the punishment) on you, if He will, and then you will escape not. And my advice will not profit you, even if I wish to give you good counsel, if Allah’s Will is to keep you astray. He is your Lord! and to Him you shall return.” (Surah Hud 13:33-34)
Despite his truthful arguments, he continued convincing his people to believe in Allah hour after hour, day after day year after year. Moreover, whenever he called them to Allah, they either ran away from him or put their fingers in their ears and became too proud to listen to the truth. All in all, he realized overtime that his efforts were surely in vain.
Consequently, he became tired and sad; asked Allah (SWT) to destroy the non-believers. As Quran says:
” And Nuh (Noah) said: “My Lord! Leave not one of the disbelievers on the earth! If You leave them, they will mislead Your slaves, and they will beget none but wicked disbelievers.” ” (Surah Nuh 71:26-27)
Allah (SWT) then accepted his prayer and asked Prophet Noah (AS) to build an Ark away from the sea with wood and tools. As non-believers saw these preparations, they mocked at him thinking he went mad. As Quran says:
“And construct the ship under Our Eyes and with Our Inspiration, and address Me not on behalf of those who did wrong; they are surely to be drowned.” (Surah Hud 13:37)
To reply to the mockeries of the disbelievers, Prophet Nuh (AS) said:
“And you are going to know who will get a punishment that will disgrace him [on earth] and upon whom will descend an enduring punishment [in the Hereafter].” (Surah Hud 13:39)
Eventually when the Ark was built, Prophet Noah (AS) and his believers patiently waited for the command of Allah (SWT). Allah revealed to him that when water miraculously gushed forth from the oven at Prophet Noah’s(AS) house, that would be the sign of the start of the flood, and the sign for Prophet Nuh (AS) to take action.
The day then arrived and water miraculously rained over the residents, resulting as a heavy rain. Prophet Noah (AS) opened the Ark and allowed the believers and animals to come inside, whereby there were approximately 80 people. The people and animals were in pairs such that their generations could thrive and that they don’t become extinct.
The non-believers, including Prophet Noah’s(AS) wife and one of his sons, did not enter despite his call. Prophet Nuh (AS) said
“O my son, come aboard with us and be not with the disbelievers.” (Surah Hud 13:42)
However, his son did not listen and said:
“I will take refuge on a mountain to protect me from the water.” [Noah] said, “There is no protector today from the decree of Allah, except for whom He gives mercy.” And the waves came between them, and he was among the drowned. (Surah Hud 13:43)
Eventually, the waves swept all the non-believers, which included Hazrat Nuh’s(AS) son and wife.
Afterwards, when the water was absorbed, Prophet Noah (AS) was sad and cried for the fact that his son and wife did not obey the words of Allah (SWT). Yet, Prophet Noah(AS) sought Allah’s(SWT) mercy. He released everybody from the Ark and life came back to normal practice on Earth.
Eventually, Hazrat Nuh (AS) passed away and his last advice to his son was to worship Allah (SWT) alone.