The Story of Prophet Shu’aib (as)
Did you know?
1) Prophet Shuaib lived in the city of Madyan, where his people were very wise in business. Because they are businessmen, they always think of ways to make a profit without thinking about legal issues. Corruption here and there.
2) The Madyan people are also known for their belief in worshiping a tree called Al-Ayka. Due to the worship of this tree, another name for the Madyan people is the Ayka people.
3) The Madyan people like to cheat in business. Among the common examples of fraud is that they cheat scales – for example they charge 3 kilos of wheat but cheat by giving only 2 kilos. They mix water into the milk so that it becomes abundant and then the milk is sold. They impose a tax on everyone who passes by or stops in their city. They forced the Prophet Shuaib to ‘bend the rules’ and follow their rules and more.
4) Prophet Shuaib tried to invite the people of Madyan back to the path of God. Prophet Shuaib said, “Complete the measurements and scales, and do not deprive a person of something that is his right. And do not do mischief on earth because Allah has made it the best. ” – Refer to the Quran (7:85). And do not sit in every way and threaten or prevent people from believing in Allah, and you want them to bend the rules of Allah to follow your rules as well. Remember when your number is small, Allah has doubled your number until it becomes many. ” (7:86)
5) After the prophet Shuaib invited them to return to the path of God, he was invited to join them to make investments because they can make the prophet Shuaib rich. He said to them, “Although my property is not as much as your wealth but the property I have is halal. If you think you can buy me with wealth, you are wrong. My goal is just to do as much good as possible. ”
6) Prophet Shuaib continued to preach but the Madyan people hated the offer of Prophet Shuaib who invited them to do business honestly and use property for good. They felt that the prophet Shuaib was like guarding the edges of people’s cloth. They want to enjoy that wealth towards disobedience and they believe that religion and business have nothing to do. They said, Lose anyone who follows the prophet Shuaib – Refer to the Quran (7:90).
7) Prophet Shuaib instructed the people of Madyan to fear the punishment of Allah and reminded them of what happened to the people of Ad, the people of Thamud and the closest to them at that time, the people of Lut. Prophet Shuaib also recalled how Allah had destroyed them. Prophet Shuaib said, “Repent before it is too late! Indeed, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. ” – Refer to the Quran (11:90).
8) The people of Madyan replied to the Prophet Shuaib, “We think you are just like us. Not strong and nothing special. We have no respect for you. If it weren’t for your family and followers, we would have stoned you to death for a long time. ” Prophet Shuaib had many followers. If they kill the prophet Shuaib, his followers will rebel and their business will scope. Then they challenged the prophet Shuaib, “If you are a true prophet sent by God, just ask God to punish us!” Prophet Shuaib could not do anything because just like the story of the previous prophets, when a people challenged the power of God, then only there. Therefore, the Prophet Shuaib also prayed, “O our Lord, judge between us and our people with justice, because You are the best Judge.” – Refer to the Quran (7:89).
9) Then Allah sent down His wrath which was very painful. God brings a suffocating hot weather. The Madyan people could not breathe in the scorching heat. They seem to boil due to the extreme heat. Then in the heat, God brought a cloud. They ran under the cloud to shelter but they did not know what God would bring down from the cloud. Allah sent down the sound of Al-Saihah which was too loud like an explosion to shake the earth under the clouds earlier. Then all the people of Madyan died and became the corpses that fell in their respective places. – Refer to the Quran (11:94).
10) Before that, Allah had saved Prophet Shuaib and his followers. When the Prophet Shuaib returned to Madyan and saw what had happened, he said, “O my people! Verily, I have given you the commandments of my Lord, and I have given you advice. Therefore, I do not feel sorry for the disbelievers (who have perished). ” – Refer to the Quran (7:93).
11) Like the people of Ad, the people of Thamud and the people of Lut, the people of Midian perished due to challenging the wrath of Allah. How wise we feel we are to be able to twist the law but remember God is far wiser and God is always watching.
Detailed of Story
Shuaib’s (as) Message
Allah the Almighty revealed the story of Shuaib (PBUH):
And to (the people of) Madyan (Madian) (We sent) their brother Shuaib. He said: “O my people! Worship Allah, you have no other Ilah (God) but Him. Verily, a clear proof (sign) from your Lord has come unto you; so give full measure and full weight and wrong not men in their things, and do not mischief on the earth after it has been set in order, that will be better for you, if you are believers. And sit not on every road, threatening, and hindering from the Path of Allah those who believe in Him, and seeking to make it crooked. And remember when you were but few, and He multiplied you. And see what was the end of the Mufsideen (mischief-makers, corrupts, liars). And if there is a party of you who believes in that which I have been sent and a party who do not believe, so be patient until Allah judges between us, and He is the Best of judges.”
The Disbelievers’ Threat : The chiefs of those who were arrogant among his people said: “We shall certainly drive you out, O Shuaib and those who have believed with you from our town, or else you (all) shall return to our religion.”
He said: “Even though we hate it! We should have invented a lie against Allah if we returned to your religion, after Allah has rescued us from it. And it is not for us to return to it unless Allah, our Lord, should will. Our Lord comprehends all things in His Knowledge. In Allah (Alone) we put our trust. Our Lord! Judge between us and our people in truth, for You are the Best of those Who gives judgment.”
The chiefs of those who disbelieved among his people said (to their people): “If you follow Shuaib, be sure then you will be the losers!”
Then he (Shu’aib) turned from them and said: “O my people! I have indeed conveyed my Lord’s Messages unto you and I have given you good advice. Then how can I sorrow for the disbelieving people’s (destruction).” Al- Quran [7: 91-93]
Shu’aib’s Story – Condensed version
The people of Madyan were Arabs who lived in the country of Ma’an, part of which today is greater Syria. They were a greedy people who did not believe that Allah existed and who led wicked lives. They gave short measure, praised their goods beyond their worth, and hid their defects. They lied to their customers, thereby cheating them.
Allah sent His Prophet Shu’aib armed with many miracles. Shu’aib preached to them, begging them to be mindful of Allah’s favors and warning them of the consequences of their evil ways, but they only mocked him. Shu’aib remained calm as he reminded them of his kinship to them and that what he was doing was not for his personal gain.
They seized the belongings of Shuaib and his followers, then drove them out of the city. The Messenger turned to his Lord for help, and his plea was answered. Allah sent down on them scorching heat, and they suffered terribly. On seeing a cloud gathering in the sky, they thought it would bring cool, refreshing rain, and rushed outside in the hope of enjoying the rainfall. Instead, the cloud burst, hurling thunderbolts and fire. They heard a thunderous sound from above, which caused the earth under their feet to tremble. The evil-doers perished in this state of horror.
The Disbelievers’ Ignorance
Allah the Exalted stated:
The dwellers of Al-Aiyka (near Midian or Madyan) belied the Messengers. When Shu’aib said to them: “Will you not fear Allah (and obey Him)? I am a trustworthy Messenger to you. So fear Allah, keep your duty to Him, and obey me. No reward do I ask of you for it (my Message of Islamic Monotheism), my reward is only from the Lord of the ‘Alamin (mankind, jinn and all that exists). Give full measure, and cause no loss (to others). And weigh with the true and straight balance. And defraud not people by reducing their things, nor do evil, making corruption and mischief in the land. And fear Him Who created you and the generations of the men of old.”
They said: “You are only one of those bewitched! You are but a human being like us and verily, we think that you are one of the liars! So cause a piece of the heaven to fall on us, if you are of the truthful!”
He said: ‘My Lord is the Best Knower of what you do.”
But they belied him, so the torment of the day of shadow (a gloomy cloud) seized them, indeed that was the torment of a Great Day. Verily, in this is a sign, yet most of them are not believers. And verily! Your Lord, He is indeed the All-Mighty, the Most Merciful. Al-Quran [26: 176-191]